The Season’s Changing
It’s pretty close to feeling like spring around here. I’m liking it a lot, although, I don’t think we had that much of a winter. Anchorage is really starting to feel like a true Pacific Northwest town, with bits of snow here and there but nothing that lasts. In recent years, the snow has been less dense and a lot more wet and slushy. Winter as I knew it is only a distant memory from my childhood — it’s sad. Not even the mountains are completely covered.
I’d played around in the job pool for a little bit earlier in the year, but I came to a realization that maybe I was in over my head. I decided not to follow-up with any prospective employers (read: I stopped caring if I got the job). In the end, I was just in a slump. I didn’t know where I fit in my current job, but I also feel comfortable here and don’t know that other places will be as accommodating with the work-life balance I have here. I guess I’m settling, guys. I don’t like that, but it’s only for now. I know I won’t be here forever.
@GoAbroad When I realized there was no way I was just going to live knowing that the world exists and I’d only seen one side of it.
— Shayne (@shayneblogs) March 15, 2016
GoAbroad.com asked this question on Twitter and I had to respond. This sums up what I feel about traveling and why it is important to me. However, it’s still easier said than done. I really want to be one of those people who can stay in one place and find joy in the mundane. I thought I was that person for a really long time, but I’m inherently not.
I think I get that type of spirit from my mom and knowing what she was like when she was younger. She was a volunteer in her twenties and did a lot of work within her community and surrounding areas. She was never in one place. I never really got that opportunity to just be free, do what I want, and leave my hand print on different parts of the world. I want to travel with a purpose, but sometimes real life hits me like a brick. I did sign up to be part of a summer program in China again, but I don’t know if the timing is as fitting as last year’s and if I can go again. I’m sure I’ll scramble to figure that out once or if I even receive the acceptance letter.
In Lighter News
- I’ve been trying a new skin care routine for the past couple of months and I touch my face some much these days because it feels so good. THANK YOU, SOUTH KOREANS!
- I’ve lost some weight. I haven’t weighed myself because I don’t like to do that. However, my clothes are all becoming extremely loose. I should go shopping, but since people have been dressing like it’s the 90s, I’m thinking I can get away with looking like I’m wearing baggy pants?!!
- I’ve taken control of my snacking and eating copious amounts of food that shouldn’t be consumed. I am also thinking about the idea of swearing off sugar.
- My walks during my work breaks have become longer without my intention, also. I think that has to do with the streets clearing up. During the colder months, I walk laps on the parking garage’s roof. Now that it’s a little warmer, I’m walking to the park close by.
- One of my tweets ended up on Saab Magalona’s blog and I fangirled out.