How was everyone’s Christmas? I hope you had a great time with your loved ones. I intentionally don’t post during this time of the year, just because I feel like it’s important to focus on real life for a bit. I like living in the moment. If I feel like I’m constantly living behind a lens and snapping away or thinking that I should match the right words to the right moments, I forget how those moments feel. It’s important to feel the memories as they’re happening, right? Anyways, I did want to at least, in some way, close this year with a post. This year has definitely been another period of growth, and for that I am so thankful. Here is what 2014 made me realize and understand even more.
This Year’s Lessons
- You don’t need everything you own.
- You aren’t the only one who’s lived through what you’ve gone through.
- Don’t underestimate the impact you have on others.
- Let people know what you want.
- Have more faith in others.
- Your circumstances shouldn’t hold you back.
- You are worth more than what you’ve settled for.
- Dive in, take a leap of faith, and do what you want.
- Don’t be scared to negotiate.
- You don’t need to feel like you need to explain every last one of your decisions.
- Don’t be scared to tell others that you can’t support their decisions.
- People are more understanding than what you think.
- There will never be enough time for anything; make time for what you want.
- You are still young, you have more years ahead than years left behind.
The Year In Review
I’m not a superstitious person, but there was something in the air this year. 2014 is my Chinese zodiac’s year – The Year of the Horse. I remember this time last year, I passively mentioned this to one of my old school friends. We both had a feeling of excitement and this sudden burst of motivation to conquer our goals. Or, better yet, make goals in general.
A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about how grateful I was for everything I was able to do this year. I went back to school full time this year. I made a goal to be on top academically. I let my voice be heard at work. I told people what I wanted and how I wanted everything done. I had never in my mind thought that I would do any of this again.
This year for me has been about rediscovering old dreams that I thought died out because of the circumstances I’ve been dealt. The truth is, it really is never too late. Time is a construct that we’ve built. It’s a restriction we’ve put on ourselves. Even more, there isn’t an absolute path that everyone has to follow in life. Everyone gets hit with a curve ball, even when they’re treading along the ideal road.
All in all, I end this year completely embracing my past and greeting the future with the biggest Alice In Wonderland-esque, cheshire cat grin that my face muscles will let me make.
Cheers to 2014, and here’s to what’s waiting for us in 2015!
Happy New Year!
2014 taught me that if you let people know what you want, and you work hard for what you want, you get what you want. Also, it was the Chinese zodiac’s Year of the Horse. I’m a horse, so that was pretty cool. Happy New Year!